May 23, 2011

SPACE WARS TOY SET

These are about the least Star Wars-y you can get, but what the heck, I'll post 'em here anyways.

There was a set of plastic space toys sold in one box with the title "SPACE WARS" or possibly "SPACEWARS". The logo is written in an almost pyramid style, similar to the original Star Wars logo. The font and the very name Space Wars are the only ways that this set relates to Star Wars, and I apologize because I don't have a photo of the box. Here's my description of it, though: It shows a kid smiling and enjoying his space toys, holding a blue robot toy. Below the picture are black letters on a pink background that says, "SPACE STATION WITH RETRACTABLE LADDER AND REMOVABLE DOME, 1 ALIEN SPACE CRUISER, 1 SPACE COMMANDO SHIP, 10 ALIENS, 8 SPACE COMMANDOS AND 2 GIANT ROBOTS". Here's the two "giant" robots, which are about two inches tall. They are big compared to the smaller space commando and alien figures.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Soupie from minifigures.blogspot.com informed me that these robots came in both red and blue.

Photobucket

Here's a close up of the back of the blue robot...

Photobucket

It says "HG" and "HK". The HG is for HG Toys, the company that released this set, and I'm guessing HK stands for Hong Kong, which is probably where the toys were produced.

You gotta wonder if HG Toys even thought of this set as a Star Wars influenced toy. Maybe they just wanted a "spacey" font for their logo.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Excellent post, mate! It looks like the Giant Robot sculpts each came in red and blue. I have the blue figure above in a red colorway:

    http://minifigures.blogspot.com/2012/01/unidentified-figure-foto.html

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information, Soupie! I've actually been to your site many times. I love looking at all the keshi, especially the M.U.S.C.L.E. line, which I've always liked.

    ReplyDelete