May 17, 2011

WINDMILL CERAMICS LAMPS

Way back in 1979, Windmill Ceramics started making unlicensed ceramic busts of a few Star Wars characters. These were "blank canvases" distributed to craft stores and such for people to paint, decorate, turn into a lamp, and sometimes give to loved ones. Well, I guess this is the kind of thing you'd give to people you didn't like.

Photobucket

Chewie stands about ten inches (roughly 25.5 centimeters) tall.

Photobucket

These are considered lamps, although they weren't originally sold with any of the actual lighting equipment. There was space left for the bulb and a hole for the cord to travel through, through. You could purchase those separately and I can imagine hobby and craft stores bundling these pieces with lamp kits.

Photobucket

Photobucket

On the bottom, the artist who decked out this Chewie inscribed "TO DONALD H" and "FROM GRANDMA [unidentifiable name] 1979". That grandmother did a good job, in my opinion. She got enough of the colors right for one to recognize it as being Chewbacca, but that red bandolier gives him that awesome unlicensed feel.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Windmill didn't limit their set to just one character. Here's R2-D2.

DSC08330

DSC08331

This lamp has had some love and attention put into it. Check out the fancy crystal stuff put into the dome and body! And you can't miss that red "diamond" in R2's holoprojector.

DSC08335

This one, as you can see, has had a light installed. Notice that someone managed to get the words "GREAT PLAINS" to protrude from the bottom of R2' body.

DSC08338

Here's what the lamp looks like when taken out, for anyone wondering.

DSC08351

And for historical purposes, SS and 83 are marked on the foot. SS is most likely someone's initials while 83 is probably the year. Did they wait to do this until 1983? Or did Windmill keep producing these that late? I've seen a few different ugly Yoda ceramic lamps, and we know he couldn't have been from the 1979 line. Our little, green friend didn't appear until the Empire Strikes Back hit theaters in 1980. Perhaps there was another series of lamps (possibly made by Windmill or a different manufacturer) that was made sometime during or after 1980 that included Yoda. There's also a silly looking C-3PO lamp out there somewhere that I have yet to find an explanation for.

DSC08341

Here's another R2-D2 lamp I own. Its paint scheme doesn't look as screen accurate as the one above, but that just makes it more fun to look at.

DSC08343

DSC08347

DSC08348

This one's foot has been marked PG 80.

DSC08349

No lamp set would be complete without Darth Vader!

DSC08963


Although Vader was not originally sold with one, it's common to see him grasping a lightsaber. 


DSC08975


DSC08977

DSC08976


Windmill Ceramics released a set of Star Wars inspired mugs that pretty much look like someone decapitated these lamps and stuck a handle on 'em (except R2, who's a full droid in both lamp and mug form). You can read my post about them by clicking here.

In a comment left by "star wars zombie" at the end of this post, the legend of a box arises! These ceramics apparently originally came in boxes, though I have no further details to report just yet. Any collectors and/or grandmas know anything about these boxes? Just leave a comment.

Photobucket

Story time! I was so excited when I found Chewbacca at a toy show for only $10. When I bought it. I told the dealer it was probably going to be the coolest thing I'd buy all day, which I think surprised him. He said he had put it up on ebay for $15, and jokingly offered to break the item before shipping it, figuring that's what the buyer would do to the ugly, ceramic monster. Luckily for me, it didn't sell on the web, so he brought it out to the toy show. Now I consider it one of my favorites, and a good example of good luck.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for this!!! I have a chewie that looks very simular to this And a darth vader with stars cut into his eyes for the lights to shine out of. when my father passed away it was amongst his things... havent been able to find much info about them. so thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I did a lot of research trying to figure out what this thing was when I first got it. I'm glad I was able to help you out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen these going gangbusters on ebay recently for over $1000 each! At least one of the darth vaders and a c-3po. They are exceedingly hard to find and have been a highly sought after addage to any rabid star wars collector's bounty. I saw a chewbacca at a collectors warehouse which was unpainted with the box a few years ago and was informed by the collector that he paid $2750 for it - second in value to only one other item in his collection, the vinyl caped jawa still in the package which cost him a whopping $6000. I cant imagine paying that much for a toy, but to some people they're more than just toys, they're memories. I wouldnt mind finding one at a flea market myself. This would be one of those wonderful antiques roadshow finds with a great story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these pieces, but I could never pay anywhere near $2,750 for one. You said you saw a Chewbacca still in the box, do you have any information about the box? Were there any pictures on it? What color was it? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

      Delete
  4. I have a ceramic lamp of a flying saucer with a r2d2 figurine that sits on a moonlike stand gotta be from the 80's. any idea what it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen that one before, but it sounds cool.

      Delete
  5. How much are these worth? A painted "Chewie" ceramic mug and ceramic lamp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not good at estimating values, but in the 5th edition of the Star Wars Super Collector's Wishbook by Geoffrey T. Carlton, the lamp in mint condition is valued at $57. I couldn't find the Chewie mug, though, sorry.

      Delete
  6. I got a c 3po lamp in pretty good condition.. i havnt been able to find much info on it..

    ReplyDelete