Oct 26, 2011

SUPER JOYSTICK POWER PLAYER VIDEO GAME SET (Part 1)

I found this at a mall one time for twenty dollars (or at least I think it was twenty...) and was intrigued, but I passed. Later on, as my interest in strange Star Wars collectibles grew, I wished I had purchased it. Then, in April 2011, I found it at a garage sale for five bucks! It's a Super Joystick Power Player video game set. It's the kind that has a bunch of games built in and the controller plugs directly into your TV, requiring no console or game cartridges/ discs.

Photobucket

As you may have noticed, there's a photo on the box's front of Qui-Gon Jinn, Darth Maul, and Obi-Wan Kenobi from The Phantom Menace.

Photobucket

I'll go ahead and warn you now that that's where the Star Wars connection ends, but this thing's still worth looking at further.

The bottom right of the box's front has a Super Joystick logo.

Photobucket

I'm not sure how many games are built in, but I know some of the other Super Joystick Power Player sets have a lot. This one has a shiny, gold sticker that says "12000" on it, so maybe that's how many.

Photobucket

Now let's take a look at the back. In the lower left it says "THE ORIGINAL" and then directly under that adds "NEW EDITION". Almost sounds like a contradiction, but I guess it could be the newest edition of the original Power Player series or something.

Photobucket

There's some pictures of a car, a helicopter, a spaceship or something, and a few airplanes.

Photobucket

The side of the box suggests that there's also a black set, a gray set, and a blue set.

Photobucket

I didn't see tape or anything sealing the box, so I assumed it had been opened before. I slid the styrofoam shell out to find that it was completely wrapped in a thin film of clear plastic. I always leave my stuff sealed, but in this case I was fooled into thinking it had already been opened before. I didn't really want to open it any more than I already had, but you can still get a better look at the product. There's a Nintendo 64 rip off controller, then a Sega Genesis one. Between the two is a chunk of plastic that can screw onto the Genesis controller's d-pad to create a joystick. Below and to the left is an AC adaptor, and the audio/video wires. Lastly is the gun peripheral.

Photobucket

On the back of the styrofoam case was a hole for the back of the Nintendo 64 style controller to stick out of. In the controller's slot there was some sort of pack which I believe holds a few AA batteries that powers the game when you're not using the AC adaptor.

Photobucket

Here's two close ups. The first one is the Nintendo 64 like controller. Its print reads "SUPER JOYSTICK TV GAME" and then has a Super Joy III logo, so I guess that's what it is.

Photobucket

Here's the Sega Genesis style controller's closeup.

Photobucket

I have an opened Super Joy III, a black one, so here it is. This'll give you an idea of what the Star Wars one would be like loose.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's some good 'ol comparison photos.

Photobucket

Photobucket

There's more Power Player sets out there, though I don't know of any others that rip-off Star Wars, though.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Be sure to check out SUPER JOYSTICK POWER
PLAYER VIDEO GAME SET (Part 2) to see the Super Joy III in action!

No comments:

Post a Comment