Aug 28, 2011

DARTH VADER CERAMIC BUST

I've got here a ceramic bust of everyone's favorite Sith lord (although Darth Maul is pretty cool), Darth Vader.

Photobucket

I hit the books and found this item in Geoffrey T. Carlton's excellent Star Wars Super Collector's Wish Book (fifth edition). It's labeled as being from the fan club, limited to 1,500 pieces. But when I'm researching an item, I really like to have a second opinion, so I headed for the computer.

Photobucket

I've scoured the web trying to find any more information about what this slightly-off looking piece is, but I've found next to nothing about it. I've used keywords like ceramic, vader, bust, fan club, etc... and still nothing. I've seen two of these busts in a bootleg/knockoff collection on the internet, so that makes me question whether this is a bootleg collectible or what.

Photobucket

This appears to have once been a blank canvas for craft lovers (or Star Wars fans who felt creative) to decorate. This one has a note left on the bottom. MERRY CHRISTMAS 1978 FROM MAX, DON, LISA, + LESLIE

Photobucket

This is one of those collectibles that I'd love someone to leave a comment about, explaining what it is and where it came from.

UPDATE: Someone left a comment telling what they think this is! Dan Elman wrote "I'm willing to bet that this example is a fan-produced knock off of the Darth Vader bust model kit made by MPC." and "What's happening there is the craft-wise ceramics artist copying other licensed collectibles of the day. I would not be surprised if they used the licensed collectible to make a rubber mold in order to copy the form. I'd bet anything your Darth is similarly copied off that MPC bust model kit." Thanks for the reply, Dan, it's much appreciated. The rest of you can read Dan's full comment in the comments section below.

5 comments:

  1. I've been collecting Star Wars for 20 years, and I have seen some equally strange ceramic creations. I'm willing to bet that this example is a fan-produced knock off of the Darth Vader bust model kit made by MPC.

    Bumping around the internet from that angle reveals a couple other similar attempts, even one as a lamp with matching shade.

    I have in my collection a couple other very odd ceramic items as well- the most well known probably being the night-light versions, where a light inside lights them up just like those holiday ceramic x-mas trees! There's even one of R2-D2.

    Not too long ago I had a Darth stein that looked exactly like the California Originals Darth- in fact for the first years of collecting I thought it was a CA originals- only slightly less refined, and on the bottom it was smooth with someone's personal hand-scribbled initials instead of the classic "Rumph!" logo.

    What's happening there is the craft-wise ceramics artist copying other licensed collectibles of the day. I would not be surprised if they used the licensed collectible to make a rubber mold in order to copy the form. I'd bet anything your Darth is similarly copied off that MPC bust model kit.
    Awesome piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reply, Dan Elman! I've been curious about this piece for too long, so it's really nice to hear somebody's idea of what they think it is. Do you have any links to a photo of the MPC kit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had one of these when I was a teen my mother picked it up at a local ceramic shop and hand painted it. Unfortunately it was broken

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started a search for this EXACT same ceramic piece I have. My parents told me they bought the piece "back in the 70's when the movies were popular" but no other specifics. There's no markings on the piece and I too can't find ANYTHING about it. Mine has a light inside and Vader's eyes are cut out.

    I'm know I'm over 3 years late posting this but... whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one I got at a flea market in the 90s. Light inside its cool. Ceramics were big in the 70s, I have a peanuts set my grandma made before they found out & broke the molds.

    ReplyDelete