Sep 27, 2016

NOT QUITE STAR WARS VIDEO GAMES

First off, let me say that I'm a huge video game fan, especially Nintendo. When I'm hitting garage sales and flea markets and such, not only am I on the prowl for Star Wars bootlegs and knockoffs, but I also have video games on my radar.

When I play these games I sometimes see characters or something that's ripping-off Star Wars. I always want to post them here on the site, but each one is never worth a whole post all to its own. Some aren't too exciting, like, I'm not even sure if the game makers are trying to knockoff Star Wars or if it's just a case of misinterpreted graphics or whatever. I finally decided that I'd go ahead and group them up into one big 'ol post for your reading enjoyment.

Now, I'm aware that this is one of those subjects that doesn't nessisarily represent something that you can physically collect, but I figured anyone interested in collecting this kind of stuff would enjoy looking at these...

Okay, let's begin!

The game Challenger for the Famicom (Japan's Nintendo Entertainment System) has two characters that look a lot like Darth Vader and Princess Leia! And you can't just blame it on bad graphics, either, the box art shows an illustration of a purple and red Vader wannabe and someone with a Leia hairdo.



I don't own the Famicom game (yet), but I found Challenger on a Power-Joy game cartridge that I used through a Power-Joy plug 'n' play system, one that looks like a Nintendo 64 controller mutated with a spaceship. (You can read more about Power-Joy related stuff in two of my other posts).



In the compilation cartridge Final Fantasy I [and] II: Dawn of Souls for the Game Boy Advance there's some Quarren!



They're called "Piscodemon" in the game, but their sprites sure resemble Squid Head.



While I believe it's really just a knight's helmet, this thing from Warlords has always reminded me of Darth Vader. This photo is from the Atari paddle plug 'n' play, and if memory serves, I believe it's based off of an arcade version, not the home console.



Star Strike for the Intellivision was obviously inspired by Star Wars. Here's the plot: Some aliens have a weapon that they're planning to use to blow up Earth. The aliens just have to wait for Earth to enter the weapon's range, then it's ouch-time for us humans. In an effort to save our planet, you hop in a spaceship and start flying in a trench and fighting off enemy ships, all the while trying to bomb certain spots on the trench's surface. If you fail, the aliens' weapon gets Earth! Doesn't this whole thing sound almost exactly like the Death Star scenario in A New Hope?



Also on the Intellivision is Space Spartans (which you can check out in my post about the game).




The game Mega Man X for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System features the character Vile; he's a villain with a jet pack, a helmet with a T shaped visor, and even missile-launching knees. basically a purple Boba Fett! Check out my post about my Vile toy.



Space Harrier 3-D is a shooter game for the Sega Master System that required use of the Sega 3-D Glasses. TIE fighter rip-offs make an appearance in this game.

The story told in the cut sequences in Bomberman Hero for the Nintendo 64 is almost like a retelling of A New Hope's plot. After my brother and I beat this game, we were like, "y'know, I'd actually be surprised if a princess didn't give us a medal now". And sure enough, Bomberman got a medal.



Check out my Aquarius Home Computer post to see some knockoff X-Wing goodness and to have the force with you in the game Alien Quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment